My Class: Reflections, Challenges and Dreams
9-IG: The Debut
High School.
It’s a stage of life most of you have survived. If you didn’t, do not try
to describe the dread of drama that takes place in the span of these 4 years to
class 9-IG (Vivek High School, Chandigarh). I’ve just entered high school as a part of 9-IG, a class with a separate
pedagogy, a separate syllabus, and maybe even a separate vision. This class
comprises me (Srishti), my best friend, and 16 other students who I’ve bonded with
more than I’d imagined in just 1 month! As the session
began, was sure that the transition from being in a CBSE classroom of 30 students
to an IGCSE section of 18 students would be rigorous…
And it was!
But I’ve surely grown to love the peace it brings, making learning more
effective than ever. I won’t deny the fact that the decision to engage in this shift
of schooling was hesitant. Can you really blame me though? 9th grade
is when the serious years of life start, at least for me; a 9th
grader. This is the year I have to truly start excelling at practically
everything. Don’t get me wrong, as a scholar, I’ve always been a person who is
passionate about learning and developing skills or niches. I am thrilled about
getting the chance to write research papers, work for internships, and enhance
my soft skills on the way this year. Nevertheless, the pressure gets to you,
and I’m sure my classmates feel the same.
The decision to switch to the IGCSE curriculum was about bettering myself with a challenge: adjusting to the rigor.
Subjects: A Means to Devote Yourself
Arguably,
one of the best parts of being in 9-IG is getting to choose what subjects you want
to study! I had determined my aim for the long term at the age of 12, and I was
more certain than ever about the subjects I wanted to choose.
Aside from the two compulsory subjects, English and Math, I’ve primarily taken up STEM-oriented subjects, i.e. Pure Physics, Pure Chemistry, and Computer Science. In addition, knowing that it’s important to understand the finances of the world, Business, and Economics are two more subjects I’ve chosen.
I truly
believe that the pure sciences deserve more love, especially Physics, which
only has a total of .7 students, including me! As you must’ve guessed, Physics
is my favorite subject.
And I’ve
been loyal to it for the past 3 years.
Even though
my classmates question me about this preference, all of us are at a consensus
when it comes to Economics; a subject selected by the majority of 9-IG. I think
this inclination is completely justified. Economics is useful, efficient, interesting,
relevant…and the list goes on. Still, despite its popularity, it doesn’t beat physics
for me!
Another interesting subject this year has been Computer Science. Although it has only been taken up by 6 students, learning about the in-depth world of binary and programming is concerningly fascinating.
The IG Experience
As I’ve
mentioned earlier, the journey to getting accustomed to 9-IG wasn’t effortless.
I was quite apprehensive about the short number of classmates I would have. For
a week or two, the classroom felt sort of empty. Our class was almost too peaceful
for my liking at the time but I can’t really be blamed for that because the
group of people in my class during 8th grade were more than chaotic.
Having said
that, I’ve come to appreciate the tranquil environment of our class. I can now
say that I’m grateful for this peace as it truly allows me to retain the syllabus
much better than I was able to in my previous session. I overcame this familiarity
with clutter by looking at how I’ve grown further academically since 9th
grade began and how learning has become structured in this manner.
It was also
a challenge to get acclimatized to the strenuous workload that IGCSE offered.
Additionally,
I think a minor issue we faced together as a class at the beginning of the
session was forgetting the different classrooms allocated for different
subjects as they used to change quite frequently but are fixed now.
Nonetheless, I still believe that the full experience of 9-IG couldn’t have been facilitated without us making these adjustments.
Indulging In Your Future Purpose
Did I mention that I love physics?
Well, not only am I passionate about physics itself but
also the study of the universe and the aerospace sector of science in general.
My dream for me isn’t just the means for an income; I believe it to be my purpose.
I wish to
devote my life to it. This might seem like a mere phase to some that I’ll
probably get over in a year or two, but it’s not. This dream is something I’m genuinely
ready to strive for and forge a path for.
This aspiration
initially stemmed from a fascination with outer space and a fondness for
physics. Now, I actively dedicate my time to gaining more knowledge about aerospace
science and engineering and to learning other useful skills such as programming
and coding. Entering 9th grade, I’m prepared to amplify this pursuit
into becoming a part of my daily routine.
I’d like to
think that everyone in our class believes in a purpose and they’re willing to
work towards it. We’re all in need of the reassurance that we’ll make it
through these 4 years as better, more productive people.
If you’re about to enter 9th grade, I completely understand what you’re feeling and how this transition may seem overwhelming. But we’ll get through, won’t we? I know for sure we won’t be able to if we think otherwise.
Learning Essentials? We've Got Them
IG’s
learning environment is systematic and prestigious but nevertheless rigorous.
made this transition significantly smoother.
As I enter
9-IG in the morning, I genuinely feel invigorated. I automatically get motivated
to accomplish as much as I can in the day.
Furthermore,
my focus has been better than ever! The tasks that usually took me 2-3 days to
get over with now get completed in one sitting. I remember being given the
entire summer break last year to complete a 5-page project in my 2nd
language; Hindi.
I started on
the evening before school commenced again.
Contrastingly,
we were given a 20-page Economics project some time ago and a whole month to
complete it. To my surprise, I’d started working on it consistently, gathering research
regularly, and ended up submitting this project even before the due date itself!
Doesn’t our class clearly have the essentials for a healthy learning environment? No unnecessary scandals, strong bonding, and a wonderful pedagogy.
A Survival Guide
If the
shift from 8th grade to high school feels like a leap, trust me, you’re
not alone or wrong for feeling that way…because it kind of is a big leap; at least
from the perspective of figuring things out. It really is the time to start
narrowing down your niches and interests to fit the big picture of your future.
Yes, the
future does matter now.
That’s
scary, isn’t it? Having to even start figuring out a path for your life at the
age of 14 seems unreasonable if you look at it as a 14-year old.
Personally,
to overcome this fear, I try to remind myself that in the grander scheme of
things, any effort I put into myself at this stage of life is only going to add
to my character and the person I become. To me that’s important. It’s important
for me to become the person I have envisioned myself to be; my highest self.
planning to do:
-dabble into every opportunity you see
-learn as much as you can
-explore everything that is available to you
The first step to figuring things out is knowing what to figure out.
Don’t overwhelm yourself, though; exploration isn’t
necessarily deep-diving. Learn to prioritise what you devote your energy to.
Although I’m
conveying these tips effortlessly, I too struggle with indulging in these practices.
I guess that’s okay, right? I can struggle and so can you. We’re all bound to
do that.
But I do agree that it is at this transitional phase that becoming certain about anything, let alone our future plan, seems this strenuous.
To All Readers...
Trust me, adjusting to the rigor that your education offers will make you much more efficient.
That's why I like to see adopting IGCSE as an opportunity to maximise learning in the sphere of academics as well as emotional or social behaviour. Wherever you’re reading this from, I know that you have it in you to adapt to the rigor of what you’re learning. As for 9-IG, of course, we’ll make it through!

Your writing is engaging and well-structured. You have made some great points here; well done!😊
ReplyDelete